Friday, May 23, 2008

The time is right

I love this time of year. I am not sure I have loved it with this sort of intensity until this year. Eating is so wonderful! Yesterday, I went to Jones Valley Urban garden after work to pick up some (more) fresh produce. I am on a special diet that mainly consists of fresh vegetables, meant, some beans and nuts to try and cure a digestive issue I have. At JVUF, I picked up 2 sorts of radishes, leeks, greens, strawberries and the spiciest arugula I have every tasted. Plus, my CSA box every week, weekly trips to Pepper Place and the things growing in my garden (although, my vegetables are having issues...). It is quite a bounty.

I have never eaten this well, or enjoyed food as much. Each day I look at the veggies and wonder what I can whip up with them for dinner. Yesterday it was stir fry. Today I am snacking on homemade tzatzi sauce with cut up radishes, beans, carrots and cucumbers. Wednesday night was baked amerjack and fried Kohlrabi leaves. It turns out Kohlrabie is amazing! The bulb is a mild, crunchy veggie, but it the leaves that really get me. They do not wilt when sauteed! instead, they turn a deep green and crisp up. I love crisp greens so much, so this has been a real treat.

Each week I am picking up a new veggie from Pepper Place and experimenting. I can't wait to see what it will tomorrow!

Oh, and check out the Botanical Gardens soon...the roses are in bloom and gorgeous.

No comments: