Wednesday, May 28, 2008

cooking angst

I'm going to admit something here that just might get me banned from the blog. I don't really like cooking. (GASP!) I'm a pretty good cook, and I do it several times a week. It's just that day in day out I don't really enjoy it. First I have to clear away the dishes that I forgot to do earlier in the day to make room for all the dishes I'm going to dirty up tonight. Then I spend about an hour chopping and stirring. (Have I mentioned this is after I got distracted by my book so that supper is running desperately late?). Then my mad genius husband has a brainwave five minutes before it's ready. Taps foot. Gah! Forgot the broccoli! Another 15 minutes to get some veggies steamed. By now with one thing or another it's a quarter til nine, the kitchen is an absolute wreck, and we haven't eaten yet. It's enough to make me wish for fish sticks and mac 'n cheese. No this doesn't happen every day. There are plenty of times when Allen is the hugest help to me when I'm running behind and need an extra hand. But, you get the picture. It happens enough. Question is what to do about it. I'd say the first answer involves not making homemade potatoes au gratin and meatloaf for the same meal without a LOT of planning first -especially if bacon and fresh garlic is involved. I don't know how you make meatloaf, but in this household there's some serious veggie dicing going on when meatloaf is in the offing. Other thing -be more aggressive keeping the kitchen clean. Clean kitchen = happy cook. Finally though, I'm going to make a point of cooking more things just for fun -bean salad, muffins, homemade lemonaid- anything fun and tasty.

3 comments:

Elisa M said...

Your banishment starts immediately.

Joking.

I try to cook something fun at least once or twice a week to keep it interesting. This usually means baking...something I am not very good at, but love trying.

Keep on trying...you will find something you love. Or make Allen cook!

susan said...

The clean kitchen thing is absolutely essential to me, too. And I am sometimes really tired (especially lately) at the end of the day and don't feel like cleaning it. But David and I have learned that we can clean a kitchen in like three minutes flat if we work together. He's got these long arms that just can reach everywhere and I've got these short little legs for bending over and getting stuff out of the dishwasher. We're made for each other really. :-)

ArtPropelled said...

I so relate to this post. I hate cooking. It always gets in the way of the important stuff and people obssess about food all day long in my house especially on weekends. I also want the weekend off you know!