Tuesday, March 18, 2008

I heart real butter...or how does Giada stay so darn skinny?

Am I the only one who notices that as I cook more and really enjoy eating more, my waist gets larger? I thought that cooking good food and really enjoying food, not eating just to eat is not supposed to do that?
Once I realized that regular cream cheese is 167 times better than reduced fat, and "I can't believe it's not butter" pales in comparison to real, rich butter...well, the weight has come too. Now, don't misunderstand me, I realize that I am not overweight. But, if I keep gaining like I have been the past few weeks, I soon will be.
Yes, I am eating more vegetables. Yes, I am eating more whole grains. I just happen to be adding avocados to my salads and tons of olive oil to my grains. Then there is the muffins I can't stop making, and the cookies that cry out to be tested. Plus all the pasta dishes that I discover every day.

Is this a phenomenon that others have experienced as well? I have even started walking or riding my bike to the grocery store, so as to stave this off (plus, walking really limits what I can by as I have to be able to carry it all home).

I am not planning on changing my eating habits...I am cultivating a love for food, and if that means a size bigger, so be it. Women are designed to be soft and rounded. We really are. It is just our stupid culture that has Lindsey Lohaned this out of us (Yes, I just made Lindsey into a verb!).

I don't want my posts to be about weight, but as I was preparing for my shower to rinse the dirt that was coating my knees, feet, hands, ears (how? how?)from my gardening, i took a look in the mirror and was surprised at what i saw. Maybe it wasn't the dryer that made my jeans too small. Maybe it was the creme fraiche on my morning muffins.

4 comments:

Natalie said...

One more for butter. I really wish you were with us last night (and visa versa. I bet it was awesome) because we were learning all about the importance of good fats in your diet. Did you know that if you don't get enough good (ie not rancid not hydrogenated) fats in your diet that won't be able to assimilate various fat soluble vitamins and minerals? You can't even make vit D without having sufficient quality fats (and enriched milk just isn't the same as good old sunshine made). Seriously, I've been learning so much about all the ways our bodies use (and need) quality fats. You need them for nerve health, for the structural integrity of your cell walls, and the list just goes on. (I can show you some of this later if you like.)

I totally agree with you that women shouldn't be afraid to be soft, curvy, and delightfully cuddly. However, here's another thing to consider. A lot of people can't really digest wheat in the quantities that we eat it. That alone can lead to weight gain. Just subbing brown rice pasta for regular pasta can make a difference. I buy Tinkyada brown rice pasta and love it. It has a slightly richer, nuttier flavor than white flour pasta and is nearly impossible to overcook. Delicious.

But yes, totally agree. I'd rather be curvy with butter than tiny with margarine.

Elisa M said...

Wow! How informative...I love it! I really do want to come on a Monday night. I am so interested in herbal healing and holistic diets, etc.

Carla Jean said...

I laughed out loud at the creme fraiche on your muffins comment... and then realized that's a trick I've never tried! Sounds yummy...

I don't own a scale so I have no idea if my weight has fluctuated since I've resumed cooking for myself, but I suspect it has actually dropped if anything. When I lived with my grandparents I was eating heavy Southern foods all the time... which are yummy, but not at all the way I eat now. So even though I insist on real butter and as much whole milk and heavy cream as I can, I think my weight has been stable.

(And yeah, I too realize that weight gain is not exactly a big problem for me. So no one glare at me, please. At least, not too much.)

Elisa M said...

My weight has been the same for 3 years, just the distribution seems to have changed. I am not sure where is getting smaller as my mid section inches along...