Tuesday, March 18, 2008

I couldn't wait until tomorrow to post this

I just bought my first round of heirloom seeds! From Seed Savers Exchange , a non-profit which sells heirloom seeds at a great price. Here is a blurb from their mission statement:
"Seed Savers Exchange is a nonprofit organization that saves and shares the heirloom seeds of our garden heritage, forming a living legacy that can be passed down through generations. When people grow and save seeds, they join an ancient tradition as stewards, nurturing our diverse, fragile, genetic and cultural heritage."

um, YES! I bought kale, tomatoes (2 varieties), tomatillos, arugula, beans, lemon balm, flowers. And all for $33 including delivery. that is way good for heirlooms.

I still need to figure out a way to test the ground, otherwise it will be container love for me! I am anticipating a great, challenging, hopefully somewhat rewarding spring and summer full of learning and eating!

I am planning on starting them indoors. Martha Stewart has great ideas for how to do this (in eggshells!) and DIY growing lamps. As does You Grow Girl (incidentally, I use this book every single day) Where on earth are growing lamps going to go in my apartment? Looks like the cart in my closet is going to get another use!

Now I need to figure out how to get a chicken, cow and goat in my backyard area...

9 comments:

Carla Jean said...

OK, I just bookmarked the seed site. You are putting ideas in my head!

I really want this: http://www.gardeners.com/Tomato%20Success%20Kits/VegetableGardening_TerrificTomatoes,35-776RS,default,cp.html
The Barretts recommended it to me (they've heard great things) one day when we were talking about growing tomatoes. Apparently irrigation can be tricky with those suckers.

susan said...

What kind of tomatoes?????

Elisa M said...

ooohhh, that is so nice. Maybe I will add that my amazon wish list and use it next year if this years are a bust.

Elisa M said...

susan- Silvery Fir Tree tomatoe and cherry Roma Tomatoe. Also Tomatillos.

susan said...

Tomatillo Lobster Taco!

Anna said...

ok since we're posting what tomato products we want...
http://www.cleanairgardening.com/totuupdotofl.html

my tomato experiences (along with all other veggies, lets be honest) have not been a raging success, but i believe that this little invention will solve all of my problems, and then some.

Elisa M said...

I have seen that! It is actually on my amazon wish list. I was so tempted to get that...but then I was on the seed website and got carried away. I also ordered a tomato growing thingy from my little brothers school fundraiser. Now if I can just get some...ANY to grow I will be happy.

Natalie said...

I have tons of scraps if you need ties.

susan said...

I had a really hard time with tomatoes last summer, but I think it was because I was growing those REALLY huge heirloom varieties in buckets. I mean, I had to water those puppies two and three times and day and I had a hard time with insects, too. This year, Elisa, get some NEEM and use it early and often. That's my advice. I also had big problems with nitrogen-deficiency (black spots.)But, that's because you shouldn't grow a huge tomato in a bucket. This is what I have learned.

I think I'm going to stick to smaller varieties this year. I grew German Queens last year that seriously weighed more than a pound each.