Friday, October 10, 2008

Musings on Fall and Food

The time is drawing near for my little honeybee to embark on a new adventure: solid food. (Well, it will be another three months or so, but that's relatively near.) I'm so looking forward to experimenting with butternut squash, avocado, sweet potatoes... It's a big joy, I've learned, to feed things. And not just people, but dogs and plants and birds as well. It must be some innate element of maternal instinct. And maternal instinct, in my opinion, is something you don't need a baby to have.

I'm also dreaming of fall food: pumpkin, apple, squash, wild rice (although why I label that as a fall food I don't know.)

Yesterday, I ate at the restaurant at the Botanical Garden and then took the bee on a stroll. Anyone ever eaten there? Chicken and polenta and barely-steamed haricot vert (oh, how I love a green bean with delusions of grandeur.) It was delicious. And full of little old ladies coiffed like rain clouds with big white poofs standing out from their little pearl-laden ears.

Do it. It was worth it.

1 comment:

Elisa M said...

I too, am looking forward to fall food. I am, in fact, have a Pumpkin cooking extravaganza with a friend tomorrow night to celebrate the early stages of fall. Now if only the chill in the air would stay.