Thursday, May 1, 2008

I'm FREE!!

I finished my final exam last night! I am so extremely happy! I am leaving for Scotland in one month, but until then I will be relaxing - baking, gardening, knitting, reading. It is going to be wonderful.
An update on my garden: I have beautiful strawberries that are beginning to blush red. Unfortunately the birds have noticed, and I have yet to get a strawberry for myself. They decided that the little red tips are just as delicious and a completely red strawberry, so they are destroyed before they are pickable. I must build a cage.
I also have blackberries. I thought it would be a year before fruit developed, but I was happily mistaken. The birds have not found these little gems yet; I hope it stays that way.
In other news, I am having a bake sale this weekend! If anyone is interested in getting a mother's day gift, or something sweet for themselves, there will be lots of delicious goodies. I love love love baking, and most of my creations come out pretty well, so I hope none will be disappointed. I am making a blueberry gingerbread cake with mocha cream frosting that I am excited about. It sounds so strange it must be good! It's this Saturday at Lucy's Coffee and Tea near the corner of University and 20th street south from 11-2. If you're free you should stop by, and tell your friends!
Since I'm having this bake sale I won't divulge any baking recipes just yet (muahaha), but for my own homage to the wonders of grits, I will post this shrimp and grits recipe that I just made care of Cooking Light (with my own slight variations). It is VERY good (according to Jimmy)!

Cooking (slightly) Light Shrimp and Grits Casserole

2 c milk
3/4 cup chicken broth (calls for fat free less sodium, but I used regular)
***i will note here that I used more liquid because I used regular grits instead of quick grits - I used the whole can of chicken broth and maybe added some water, I can't remember exactly how much more I needed. I checked the grits bag and used how much liquid it said to use
1 c grits (I used stone ground grits, but the recipe calls for quick grits)
1/4 tsp salt (omitted because I used full salt broth)
1/2 c shredded parmesan cheese
2 tbs butter (I used 1 because of the full fatted chicken broth)
1 3-oz package less fat cream cheese
3 tbs chopped fresh parsley
1 tbs chopped fresh chives (I used green onions because that's what I had)
1 tbs lemon juice
2 large egg whites (I used one full egg)
1 pound peeled and deveined medium shrimp, coarsely chopped (I used little frozen shrimp)
cooking spray
hot pepper sauce (optional, I didn't take advantage of this option)

1. Preheat oven to 375
2. Combine milk and broth in a medium have saucepan; bring to boil. Add grits (and salt) to pan, stirring constantly. Cook 5 min until thick, stirring constantly (or according to package directions). Remove from heat. Stir in parmesan, butter, and cream cheese. Stir in parsley and next 4 ingredients (through shrimp).
3. Spoon mixture into a 11x7-in baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake at 375 until set. Serve with hot pepper sauce, if desired.
Yield: 6 servings

4 comments:

Lauren said...

Hi, I don't know you but I'm a friend of Carla and Elisa. Just wanted to say I made that exact recipe last night! We loved it, yummo.

Lauren Denton

Elisa M said...

YIPPEE for down time! Yipee for Scotland time!
I hate that I am going to have to miss the bake sale. Can I put in an order after that? I do love your cupcakes and cookies?!

I hope it goes well

Natalie said...

Oh wow. I drove past you just yesterday when I was downtown for my brother in law's graduation, but since I hadn't seen this post I didn't know what was going on.
Sorry I missed it.

Elisa M said...

How did the sale go?! Jenn E brought me some cookies and I ate them for breakfast, they were so yummy!