Sunday, April 13, 2008

Going au naturale

Hand sanitizer that is. I just don't like that alchohol stuff they sell. It tries out my hands and who knows what all's in it. For a girl trying to go herbal/green with her home and body care products that's not really inviting. So, for months I have watched my mother-in-law going around with this myrrh based hand sanitizer, and today I finally made some of my own! I was trying to make me up some jasmine body spray (since perfume is another thing I don't really do) and discovered anothre spray bottle I must have bought and then promptly forgotten. I didn't really use a recipe for either one. I just sort of scouted the internet and saw that most recipes consist of water, essential oil, and grain/rubbing alchohol. I believe you can use witch hazel in place of the alchohol if desired. I just used some smirnoff that hasn't been seeing much action since...well since we bought it actually. I did add a few drops of massage oil to my blends though just to try and counteract alchohol's drying effect. For the body spray I just added a couple of drops of massage oil, one drop of pure Jasmine essential oils, probably just under an ounce of vodka, and a generous ounce of water. Then I just shook it up really well. Hope I didn't make it too strong. That jasmine oil is very strong. Well just see if anyone besides Allen will sit by me at church tonight :D For the myrrh blend I did about the same thing, but I added more oil and used less vodka. The recipes I saw indicated that for non-perfume type stuff you don't need as much alchohol. Oh yeah, I also put some colloidal silver in with it for even more germ kicking awesomeness. So yeah, 6-8 drops myrrh essential oil and about 1/4 oz silver along with a tsp oil for moisturizing. Vodka for stabilizer. Water to the top. In my purse and ready for the next all natural germ kicking opportunity. I feel like such a granola girl now. It rocks.

2 comments:

Anna said...

hey be careful with that colloidal silver; i know some people who rub that stuff on themselves and are freakishly gray.

Natalie said...

Yeah, there's a lot of people who misuse silver and then freak out everyone else. The stuff I use mostly has been through a huge patent process and you'd have to drink something like a gallon a day to go freakish. A tablespoon or so mixed up in a 2oz bottle shouldn't hurt anything. I promise to stop using it if I start getting zombie hands :D